furniture . oh nos . day ...2

Sunday, June 29, 2008

day . 2

so i call this day 2 because yesterday was when i went to ikea. started my furniture shopping and really thinking about how i wanted everything...marking things down, noting ideas that reflected images i brought together. discussing with my mom, etc. usually i LOVE ikea because its peaceful and fun to look at setups but i was super lucky when radio disney was there with like 100 LOUD children and their accompanying mothers who are just as loud as they are. it was funny

anyways, furniture for a 22 year old usually entails: ikea ikea ikea ikea. and possibly (if you're lucky and come from a long line of blessed people) inherited furniture..i am not one of them.

my type of inherited furniture tends to be from the 1970s era when vinyl, browns, olive green reigned hell on all. however i have been able to find a few pieces here and there in the house (my mom's house) that i can use for myself. now as a beginner/semi (i don't know how you can categorize yourself...me - 1, martha stewart - 10), i am having MANY frustrations about "matching furniture" or at least everything looking like it flows together...and not like a jail cell...which is pretty much the style my mom tells me to go with (be simple, bring your old bed...that you had since you were 2). i am also very overwhelmed because this is pretty much the first time where i have some money at hand for big priced items. so how have i coped with all of this?

1. i found what has been most helpful and that I find most helpful from many great bloggers (decor8, marthastewart.com, etc) is to put at least SOME work into it.
2. be 3-d as much as possible. i have been cutting out pictures, pasting pictures onto papers to see what goes together, circling deals, photoshopping, finding software where i can draw out and measure where everything can go in my 1x1ft cell block (i live in the city, what do you expect)
3. get inspiration! gathering pictures to inspire myself has been a big help. i sometimes felt that i was copying the style or the whole room which would take away from my own uniqueness and creativity but with luck have it...i can't afford half the shit they post so i am forced to improvise and most people seem to because they can't find that exact item or they just forget what they saw because they didn't bring the papers to the store....which defines my experience
4. get what you really need. rooms don't take one day to put together...so with me being in the city..im going to have a lot of fun seeing items i like and trying to see if it'll go into my room well over time.
5. paint! don't have matching furniture? paint it. whites tend to make the room look bigger.

i have taken this duvet cover from ikea as a main point to work off from. i am very bad at narrowing down choices because i like so much stuff so i had to force myself to pick at least one main thing to work from...to make the whole room. or else i would sit alone in my room circling ideas forever. i also read that choosing three colors to stick with is also helpful...so say black furniture/red occasional pieces with blue and black/navy blue etc. so this starts off the room: YELLOW! (blue/pink/white is the main look...but won't be so circusy).





--------

edit!

anna ly has succumbed to the woes of non-ikea furniture. i bought my desk from raymour and flanigan (charlotte writing desk) and a lauren chest which brought together the old with the new (random ikea stuff)










0 comments: